The Valley Of Lozio
The municipality of Lozio, which takes its name from the Valley of Lozio, rises about 1000 metres above sea level and is divided into 4 small hamlets: Sucinva, Laveno, Villa and Sommaprada.
Villa, which is about 3 km from the other villages, is located on the road that leads through a thick pine forest to the village of Ossimo Superiore at 1020 m.
Laveno which is 975 m is the village where the Municipal House is located. Sommaprada (1060 m) is situated at the foot of Concarena. Sucinva is further downstream with its 850 m.
The Valley of Lozio offers a view that is worth to be seen from all mountain lovers. it is surrounded by the rocky mountains of Pizzo Camino, Concarena, Bacchetta and some other less known but still worthy. The blue sky is always at hand, such as the Church of S. Cristina you can reach easily from the villages of Sommaprada and Villa. Every year, in fact, to remind the Santa in the night between June 23 and 24, G. E. L. (Hikers Lozio Group) organizes a candlelight vigil called "Fuochi di pace". During this very fairy tale candlelight, where the participation is every year more and more massive, you travele approximately 2.5 km from Villa through a path in the forest and 1 Km from Sommaprada, every path joins before the beautiful church which dates back to the 18th century and is located at the foot of the Val Baione as a faithful Sentinel.
Above the village of Villa there was a feudal Castle belonged to the Nobli family, today you can still see the remains of a wall and, higher up, the remains of a large Tower.
Routes and excursions
The links between fractions and from Ossimo
Villa - Nobili's medieval castle ruins
Sommaprada - S. Cristina Church - Villa
Villa - Mountains' Road
Sommaprada - Laveno - Mounts of Cerveno
Sommaprada - Mounts of Cerveno
Sommaprada - Bivacco Val Baione - Cima Bacchetta
Sommaprada - Bivacco Val Baione – Cima Bagozza
Villa - malghe Onder - Colle Mignone - Ossimo
Villa - malghe Val Burnega - Valli Piane
Villa - malghe Varicla - rifugio Laeng (m. 1760)
Villa - Lago di Lova
MOUNTAIN BIKE TRAILS:
Sommaprada - Monti di Cerveno
Villa - chiesetta S. Cristina
Sucinva - Malegno, per la vecchia strada
Villa - Ossimo - Borno (o Annunciata)
Villa - mount Mignone
HORSE RIDING ROUTES:
Most of the above locations can be horseback riding.
"The people's House-Museum of Lozio"
The House-Museum is arranged over four floors that have preserved many of the architectural features of yesteryear, both in materials (wood and stone) and in the presence of some particular structures (such as vaults, stone floors and wooden floors).
On the ground floor the stall and kitchen are located. In the kitchen, where is rebuilt a fireplace on which hangs the "parol" (cauldron), there is an old cabinet, a sideboard formed by "spicina" (the top part with glass doors) and the "farinera" (the lower part with large drawers with opening doors that were filled with flour. On the walls are hung various tools and utensils used in the kitchen.
The stall is surmounted by a stone vault, inside which, in a corner, there's an opening (called "bus del Fè") where the hay was hurled from the barn upstairs to the animals. At the opposite corner of the room the "balarol", a wooden lumber room with benches, in which people spent their evenings, will be soon rebuilt; here farmers where used to warm themselves with beasts and they were used to tell childrens the "bote", stories and anecdotes often including guest appearances by dead, witches and other scary subjects, probably even more impressive than nowdays horror films.
On the first floor there are three rooms. Where are rebuilt two bedrooms: a double bed with two mattresses stacked (the under one made of horsehair - replacement of old "scarfoi", the corn leaf - over that in wool), the cradle, the chamber pot ("bocal"), a big drawer and, hanging on the walls, panels containing many precious laces and embroideries, dating back to last century, restored by Giovanna Massa; the other room has a single bed, a bedside table with a candle, lace curtains in the windows and a drawer full of clothes that overflows from trays. Between the two bedrooms, a small room is entirely occupied by showcases containing and protecting clothes (even a wedding dress of the century - for us curiously dark), lingerie, women's clothing and accessories of various garments.
On the second floor there are: the barn ("fienil") with rakes, forks, tridents and different types of baskets to keep hay and "patus" (fallen leaves that were collected through the undergrowth and that were used for making the "bed" of the cows); the "era" - the area between outer and inner, place after the entrance door from the rear - where you'll find a cart with the "düf" (yoke), the "aradel" (plow) and tools for the firewood. In the mezzanine space, then, there are various other household objects: irons, sewing machine, a "soi" (a large wooden recipient in which the clothes were washed), shepherd's hats and coats, brush and shaving razor, etc..
In the attic floor, a single large environment, there are various military items including a sedan chair for wounded from the first world war, the school's corner with a small bench and a large blackboard, the angle of the "marengù" (the carpenter) and the "minor" (the miner) with their gear, a honey extractor, three different kinds of wheelbarrow, the old bank counter (almost western style) and, hanging in the rafters, examples of products of the land: corn, barley, rye, wheat, etc.